Articles

#
Drains and Brains
The secret story of drains in brain surgery. Learning medicine in the 21st Century. NeuroRounds is the place where the medical leaders of tomorrow interact LIVE with top experts.
#
We Have No Time
Sometimes it's urgent and extreme team building that makes the difference in a patient's care. What happens when an ER patient needed life-saving surgery 10 minutes ago?
#
An Open Letter to Wrestling Coaches
Troubled and saddened by the University of Iowa Athletics' decision to partner with UFC. My open letter to wrestling coaches across the country and to University President Barbara Wilson
#
Finding The Switch : Next Level Wrestling
The tools that allow us to wrestle and compete at the highest level don't change over the years. Sometimes what changes is that people forget the basics and need to be reminded of what they've always known.
#
Moments of Choice
In this video Dr. Mark McLaughlin shares a youth coaching experience and provides tools and hints for your own coaching responsibilities. It's about choices and responsibility.
#
Day In The Life : Daybreak
Join practicing neurosurgeon Dr. Mark McLaughlin on the way to the hospital. It's the dawn of a neurosurgeon's day. Learn the thoughts and the process.
#
Day In The Life Episode 1
A Neurosurgeon's Day... from early morning start, through a long day of surgery, teaching, and patient care, to making a contribution to the lives of others on a daily basis.
#
8 Meditations : Mark McLaughlin Wrapped 2021
Here are eight of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations that I found great meaning in over the course of 2021. He is foundational in Stoic thought and philosophy, and Roman Emperor in his spare time.
#
Journal : Year 1
2021 was the first year I ever took up journaling. Here are the top ten pearls that I found when I reviewed it. It was well worth the effort and time, and I heartily recommend it to anyone.
#
2021 Book Challenge
In 2021, I set a goal/challenge of reading 2 #books a month. Happy to say that I achieved the goal. My reading list is here.
#
High Performance for Athletes
December 8, 2020: High Performance for Athletes. A motivating presentation for Dakine Warriors. Dr. McLaughlin joins the competitive athletes from the Dakine Warriors..., a top volleyball club in the Pacific Northwest.
#
William & Mary Tribe Speaker Series
Dr. McLaughlin with the Womens' Soccer Team at William & Mary. An inspirational message about seizing the moment and retaking control. Because it's important to believe something good will happen.
#
The 3 Secrets to Cognitive Dominance
Watch presentation to the Old Guard of Princeton. It's a stage previously occupied by Albee, Dyson, J Seward Johnson, Kahneman, Reinhardt, Tilghman, Anne-Marie Slaughter, and Albert Einstein!
#
The Power of Platforms Full Presentation
Video of The Power of Platforms - Complete Presentation. this is a powerful message for Executives, Athletes, Entrepreneurs, and anyone facing challenges and decisions. Here are the tools you need.
#
Highlight Reel: Power of Platforms
Highlight reel from Dr. McLaughlin's presentation "The Power of Platforms". Dr. McLaughlin is a noted author, coach, inspirational speaker, and neurosurgeon.
#
Dreams, Platforms, and Choices
Reaching the Platform means different things to different people, but for everyone, the journey requires the combination of a set of virtues and principles that range from dedication to hard work and faith.
#
Parallels in Precision Video: West Point Football Coaches
It has been an incredible experience presenting my workshop on precision, concentration and execution to the West Point Football coaching staff, and then having the further opportunity to work with the young men of the Football team. Watch this video to see the West Point coaching team experience a new way of looking at stress.
#
Health Crisis On a Plane
A while back, my wife and I were on a transatlantic flight when a passenger fell into a coma. As a doctor, I rushed to her side. I soon learned she was diabetic and had overdosed on insulin. I’m a neurosurgeon and her situation was outside my specialty, but it was a pretty basic medical emergency: get glucose into her system STAT.
#
Time, Carla, and Peak Performance
This presentation was made at the Hunterdon Healthcare Foundation Annual Lecture and tells the story of meeting Carla..., a young girl with a life ahead of her..., if she could only survive the next few minutes. Life is measured by momemts.
#
An Olympian Visits Trenton - Kyle Snyder
"What if…this program grew to its potential? What if these young girls and boys get the same great coaching, teaching, role models, and mentorship that I was blessed to have? What if Trenton Youth Wrestling produced an Olympian? Why not?"
#
West Point and Elite Performance
On February 27th, 2017 I was honored again by the opportunity to speak at West Point. People who know me are aware of my passion for finding the keys to unleashing maximum performance. Not surprisingly West Point is packed with people who are driven by the pursuit of excellence.
#
Concentration: What a Neurosurgeon Knows
Concentration and Performance: This quick video offers a summary of some key ideas to improve performance and concentration in business, in sport, and in life. Let us know what you think.
#
Parallels in Precision Workshop with West Point Military Academy
Video of the Parallels in Precision Workshop with the psychology class at West Point
#
West Point Wakeup Call
I recently spoke at West Point to a sports psychology class. The topic was “Psychological Aspects of Elite Performance”. In the process of pulling together the talk, I learned a lot about myself and grew closer to my son.
#
Love Me..., Let Me Fail
To all parents out there: Carve out a half hour alone this weekend, and read the article “How to Land Your Kid in Therapy” by Dr. Lori Gottlieb.
#
Millionaire Coaches: Remember Reason Your Players Are in College
Super Bowl 2013 is almost upon us, with all the hype and hoopla it entails. But I am not finished with the college football season yet. I have some real concerns about the overwhelming prominence of football – at the expense of academics – that seems to be present at major universities.