Articles

#
Rutgers Wrestler Faced Paralysis
Rutgers wrestler and assistant coach faced potential paralysis. He found a kindred spirit in previous NCAA Div I wrestler and practicing neurosurgeon Mark McLaughlin, MD
#
Trenton Youth Wrestling and Learning Center
The Trenton Youth Wrestling and Learning Center is currently fund-raising, and seeking support (financial, political, ethical, and moral). Learn more about how you can help.
#
An Open Letter to Wrestling Coaches
Troubled and saddened by the University of Iowa Athletics' decision to partner with UFC. My open letter to wrestling coaches across the country and to University President Barbara Wilson
#
Finding The Switch : Next Level Wrestling
The tools that allow us to wrestle and compete at the highest level don't change over the years. Sometimes what changes is that people forget the basics and need to be reminded of what they've always known.
#
Moments of Choice
In this video Dr. Mark McLaughlin shares a youth coaching experience and provides tools and hints for your own coaching responsibilities. It's about choices and responsibility.
#
Day In The Life : Daybreak
Join practicing neurosurgeon Dr. Mark McLaughlin on the way to the hospital. It's the dawn of a neurosurgeon's day. Learn the thoughts and the process.
#
With A Heavy Heart
Last week I met with our non-profit organization, Trenton Youth Wrestling, to determine our stance on resuming normal activities during the COVID-19 pandemic. We considered many factors... most importantly, the overall social and moral question:
#
Alchemy of Wrestling
The Alchemy of Wrestling. A short video inspired by the work of Jordan Peterson. Who knew that you could connect the story of ancient alchemists to Harry Potter and ultimately wrestling? Dr. McLaughlin puts on his "Coach Mark" hat to inspire a group of wrestlers.
#
Highlight Reel: Power of Platforms
Highlight reel from Dr. McLaughlin's presentation "The Power of Platforms". Dr. McLaughlin is a noted author, coach, inspirational speaker, and neurosurgeon.
#
Dreams, Platforms, and Choices
Reaching the Platform means different things to different people, but for everyone, the journey requires the combination of a set of virtues and principles that range from dedication to hard work and faith.
#
NWCA 2015 National Convention Keynote Ft Lauderdale
NWCA 2015 Keynote - Your performance in sport, in work and in life is the outcome of decisions and approaches that you take. Neurosurgery has taught me ways to control and shape a fraught environment. Cognitive Dominance is critical.
#
Podcast NWCA All-Star Classic
To this day I see wrestling as one of the ways for me to give back to community and share the unique lessons and skills that the sport taught me. Coaching youth wrestling is a part of my life.
#
An Olympian Visits Trenton - Kyle Snyder
"What if…this program grew to its potential? What if these young girls and boys get the same great coaching, teaching, role models, and mentorship that I was blessed to have? What if Trenton Youth Wrestling produced an Olympian? Why not?"
#
Penn State Wrestling Presentation
An amazing group of young men from the National Championship wrestling program at Penn State. They inspire me to be a better doctor, coach, and person. Also great to see hometown hero Anthony Cassar from Montgomery, NJ. Thanks Coach Sanderson for the opportunity.
#
West Point and Elite Performance
On February 27th, 2017 I was honored again by the opportunity to speak at West Point. People who know me are aware of my passion for finding the keys to unleashing maximum performance. Not surprisingly West Point is packed with people who are driven by the pursuit of excellence.
#
Level V Leadership in Coaching and Life
Level V Leadership in Coaching and Life: Lessons Learned from Olympic Gold Medalist Wrestler Dan Gable
#
Olympic Anticipation
The first records of wrestling date back some 5000 years. Wrestling was introduced to the Ancient Olympic Games in 708 BC. I'm EXCITED about the upcoming Rio Olympics. Here's some information to help you watch the events.
#
Pat Summitt Basketball Coach Passes Away - A Tribute
Legendary women's basketball coach Pat Summit passed away on June 28th at the age of 64. Her final years were spent battling Alzheimer's Disease. It's difficult to grasp the the depth of her impact on women's basketball and sports in general.
#
On Meeting Living Legend Dan Gable
I was honored to meet wrestling legend Dan Gable. Dan was an Olympic Gold Medalist in Men's Freestyle, 68 kg. (approximately 150 pounds) He did not give up a single point in Olympic Games despite wrestling with injuries to his knee and head.
#
Skin Infections: A Tough Opponent for Wrestlers
Many wrestlers battle skin infections. They are a fact of life in the sport. Skin infections don’t affect only a few participants. The NCAA Injury Surveillance System states that 20% of time-loss injuries in wrestling are due to these infections
#
The World Needs More Wrestlers
Legendary Coach Dan Gable: "The world needs more wrestlers." I'm honored to announce that I have been selected Grand Marshal of the 2015 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships.
#
West Point Wrestling Team March 2014
On March 3rd 2014, I was once again honored to present my approach to elite performance to a number of West Point Cadets.
#
NCAA Head Injury Settlement - Interview Dr. Mark McLaughlin
As an an ex-NCAA athlete, a neurosurgeon, and a coach, I have followed closely.the progress of the NCAA Head Injury Settlement. NJTV News interviewed me for their news feature about the preliminary settlement of $70 million in a class action suit regarding head injury and the NCAA.
#
Why I Coach
I’m not only a doctor, I’m a parent and a coach. Coaching is one of the most rewarding activities I do. This article shares my thoughts on the rewards and value of coaching.